This is a four-ingredient cookie, yo!
- 1/2 stick (4 T.) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plus 1 T. all-purpose flour, sifted
- In a bowl beat together the butter, sugar, and syrup with a spatula or hand mixer until the mixture is light in color.
- Gently stir in flour and mix only until incorporated.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours (or for up to 1 week).
- Preheat your oven to 400 deg. F. Roll dough into balls no bigger than 1″ in diameter, the size of small cherries or hazelnuts. Place them 2″ apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the cookies have spread flat and are golden colored. Be careful: 1-2 minutes too long and your cookies will turn from lovely a lovely golden brown to black and inedible!
- Remove the baking sheets immediately, let the cookies rest a few seconds and shove a wide spatula to remove them from the sheets. (If you push the spatular underneath the cookie too slowly, it will crumple). Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. If you want curved cookies, transfer them from the baking sheet to a bottle or rolling pin and let set for a minute, then transfer to cooling racks.
This recipe originally appeared in Baking: From My Home to Yours on pg. 173.